Nursery (3 years old) / Reception (4 years old)
Our commitment is to offer our pupils an integral education by balancing the acquisition of skills and knowledge with enjoyment and a sense of wellbeing.
This stage of Education corresponds to the Early Years of the National Curriculum for England and Wales.
The programme is based around four main aspects:
- The child as an individual: Each and every child is valued and respected and his or her needs are met.
- Positive relations: Children learn through secure relationships and essential for this is a culture of communication between parents and staff.
- Optimum environment: The environment in which the children learn and play is a stimulating one, including the outdoor areas.
- Learning and development: The importance of learning through play cannot be underestimated while maintaining a balance between adult and child-initiated activities.
The programme is divided into seven areas of learning, providing a framework for the Early Years Curriculum, working towards early learning goals. The seven areas of learning are:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development (Prime Area)
- Physical Development (Prime Area)
- Communication, Language and Literacy (Prime Area)
- Literacy (Specific Area)
- Mathematics (Specific Area)
- Understanding the World (Specific Area)
- Expressive Arts and Design (Specific Area)
From the 2018-2019 academic year ELIS Villamartín counts on an innovative design of its new EY facilities, that provides a calming and inclusive environment that puts younger children as ease and allows them to quickly and consistently feel happy and relaxed so that learning can take place. In our curriculum model, learning happens best when it is led by the children themselves through exploration and through play. The role of the teachers and adults is to design the opportunities for learning and to guide the children to explore and to learn in our two languages of instruction: English and Spanish.