Primary

The Primary years provide the important foundation of skills and attitudes that prepare pupils for further learning and productive, fulfilling lives.

Pupils are encouraged to approach learning with contemplation and courage, creating a sense of confidence that raises personal expectations and the setting of achievable yet higher goals.

 

The school’s curriculum follows the National Curriculum for England and Wales in those subjects taught in English and meets the Spanish Ministry of Education requirements for Spanish language and culture.

From Year 5 pupils can choose to study a third language (Chinese, German or French).

According to National Curriculum guidelines, the school offers a balanced and broadly based curriculum which:

  • Prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life;
  • Promotes the moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and of society.

The National Curriculum provides pupils with an introduction to the core knowledge they need to be educated citizens. It helps engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement. The programme is just one element in the education of every child and the school goes beyond the specifications to offer exciting and stimulating experiences.

Mission Statement
El Limonar International School Villamartín’s programme develops each pupil’s sense of respect and dignity in order to achieve inner human and academic excellence within an educational framework which nurtures and challenges, and promotes intellectual growth
Villamartín
  • Education in English from 3 years.
  • Multilingual education (German/Chinese/French from Year 5).
  • Beyond the Classroom activities.
  • Individual Learning Journey.

Weekly Subject Hours

Pupils spend approximately 80% of their day learning in English and the remaining 20% learning in Spanish.

SUBJECTS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH YEAR 1 YEAR 2 YEAR 3 YEAR 4 YEAR 5 YEAR 6
English Language 6 6 6 6 5 5
Mathematics 5 5 5 5 5 5
Science 2 2 2 2 2 2
History/Geography 2 2 2 2 2 2
Music 2 1 1 1 1 1
ICT 1 1 1 1 1 1
Art 2 1 1 1 1 1
Physical Education 2 2 2 2 2 2
Chinese/German/French 0 0 0 0 2 2
PSE (Assembly, Tutorial) 2 2 2 2 2 2
Workshop DT 1 1 1 1 1 1
SUBJECTS TAUGHT IN SPANISH YEAR 1 YEAR 2 YEAR 3 YEAR 4 YEAR 5 YEAR 6
Lengua Española/Inmersión 4 4 4 4 4 4
Conocimiento del medio/Inmersión 0 2 2 2 2 2